Link Maker is used by almost every local authority in the UK to increase placement choice for children. We work with authorities, providers and national leads, across all care settings, to ensure that collaboration and data use is supported by an effective national platform.
In November 2016 Link Maker launched a commissioning platform. This makes needs-led placements easier to find, and gives the opportunity for all authorities to use a common, national platform for framework and consortium arrangements, reducing duplication and wasted time, and improving data regionally and nationally.
- Explore. Everyone in your team can register online. The system is very intuitive, and these tutorial videos help to explain what's what. Our support staff are always on hand by telephone or email if needed.
- Join the pilot. If you would like to join the free pilot, with no commitment, please contact us
- Let providers know. The system is free of charge for providers, to view placement requests and list vacancies. To make the most of the pilot, invite your providers to join you in evaluating the system with this message
- Search for vacancies. Once the pilot is underway you can view vacancies that have been listed, and pursue any that might be of interest. Please also consider adding placement requests so that providers can alert you to new vacancies if they feel they can help
Beyond the pilot, those authorities wishing to continue using the full features will have the option of purchasing a monthly or annual licence, priced according to their size. If you have any questions about costs, or how Link Maker could fit with your placement practice, please get in touch.
- Evaluate vacancies quickly. All in-house and external vacancies can be ordered according to how they may best match a child’s specific needs, and filtered by requirements such as geography and required start dates.
- See the widest range of vacancies. All vacancies are instantly visible whether in-house, on a framework, or nationally. Whatever the criteria or level of need, there is no delay in accessing all options.
- Manage provider groups. Create custom groups of providers (including other local authorities) according to contract frameworks, or those providing specific services. Groups can then be used to filter available vacancies, or to define a range of providers to which a commissioning profile should be issued.
- Issue placement requests. Issue placement requests to any defined provider group or groups, and within tightly defined geographical criteria, instantly and securely. Deploy current documents and contact details more efficiently, or use the new universal commissioning profile.
- Schedule placement requests. According to the policy in each case, the issuing of commissioning profile can be automated to progress from, for example, in-house, to a framework, to any provider in a defined area, at appropriate intervals. The sequence can be set to stop automatically when sufficient placements have been offered.
- Reach all current providers. Placement requests can be issued to all providers with whom an authority works. Those not already using Link Maker would receive invitations by email to register for free in order to securely access placement requests that have been issued to them.
- Access off-contract placements. Where a vacancy from a different contract framework is of interest, details of the provider, including membership of other frameworks, are available so that options can be explored.
- Universal commissioning profile. Clear and complete information is captured including the purpose of the placement, the outcomes sought, the child’s views, assessed risks, and when the placement is needed. The new form has been developed for Link Maker by Marie Tucker at CICADA Services, based on her research for ICHA into the use of placement request forms. The form will be kept under review to ensure it continues to meet the needs of the sector. An existing placement request form can be uploaded instead if preferred.
- Define response timescales. Request that placement offers are submitted by a specific date to allow consideration of options, negotiation of contracts and planning of the placement.
- Manage cases and tasks flexibly. All users accounts are specific to individuals, so that cases and tasks can be shared between managers, commissioners, placement officers and social workers according to prevailing practice and policy in the organisation.
- Meet data protection obligations. All documents and messages are shared securely with carers and external providers, with information encrypted using the password of the intended recipient, and made available to them for only as long as it is needed. Link Maker is ISO 27001 accredited and all data is hosted in the UK.
- Keep information up-to-date. All users can update their profiles and cases directly, in real time. Link Maker monitors all activity and intervenes directly with users by email and telephone whenever an update, or a user response, may be overdue.
- Effective oversight. A range of user-level permissions can be applied, granting the ability to view activity against all cases and to run detailed activity reports.
- Plan ahead. Live data is always available, and can be aggregated regionally and nationally. Powerful reports and dashboards enable supply and demand to be monitored effectively, in real time.
- Online presence. Manage a customised, branded portal for staff from your organisation. This can provide news and information, host resources, and hold forums for practice discussion.
- Collaborate. A comprehensive range of collaboration features for regional services and consortia are included.
- Readily available support. Unlimited online and telephone support for all users from 9-5pm, Monday-Friday
- Ongoing development. Nothing in children's social care stands still, and Link Maker's continuous development is shaped by feedback and suggestions from users.
Staff from the organisations below have created user accounts on Link Maker through which placement requests can be viewed. Those in bold have additionally listed live vacancies for authorities to view.
24 Seven Fostering Services
Action for Children
Amicus Foster Care
Appletree Treatment Centre
Arc HD Services Limited
Archways Care Ltd
Beta Care Services
Capstone Foster Care
Care Today/Parallel Parents
Children Always First
Children's Family Trust
Classic Foster Care
Croham Services for Children
Dove Adolescent Services Ltd
Eastern Family Services
Evolution Children's Services
Family Care Fostering
Family Care Group
Family Fostering Partners
Five Rivers Child Care
Flying Colours Foster Care
Footsteps to Futures
Foster Care Associates
Foster Care Connect
Foster Care UK
Fostering North East
Fostering People Too
Harmony Children's Services
Homefinding and Fostering Agency
Homes 2 Inspire
National Fostering Agency
Olive Branch Fostering
PCC Foster Care Agency
Phoenix Learning & Care
Progress Care Solutions
Regional Fostering Services
Regional Foster Placements
Rossie Young People's Trust
Serenity Specialist Care Ltd
Supported Fostering Services
SWIIS Foster Care
The Caldecott Foundation
TimeOut Children's Homes
Tree House Care
Unity Foster Care
Welcome Foster Care
What's Out There Limited